A well-thought-out traffic concept makes for an attractive quarter with a contemporary feel, featuring access roads, cycle routes, pedestrian areas and parking spaces.
A basic principle of the master plan is efficient site access. The plots at the center are connected via three internal connecting roads branching off from Hegenheimermattweg. The main thoroughfares feature spaces for short-term parking and attractively designed accesses for slow traffic.
The four corner plots are connected via Lachenstrasse and Kreuzstrasse respectively.
The key points in brief:
• Efficient access routes
• Short-term car parking spaces
• Attractive concept for slow traffic
• Good public transport links
• Central parking in two parking structures
A new bus stop will be installed near the junction between Lachenstrasse / Hegenheimermattweg to take account of the additional jobs at the site. The existing Kreuzstrasse bus stop will be redesigned.
• Shuttle to the airport: Even with today’s public transport links, the EuroAirport Basel Mulhouse Freiburg can be reached in 22 minutes, with just one change to the number 50 airport shuttle bus.
• Bus connection: The two bus stops are served by over twenty buses per hour. The three train stations Basel SBB, SNCF and DB Badischer Bahnhof can be reached by bus in approx. 20 minutes.
Parking on the site is at a central point, thus ensuring the traffic in the quarter is kept to a minimum.
• Parking structures: Two plots at the site are reserved for parking structures, which will meet the parking needs at BaseLink. Bearing in mind that the site is being developed in stages, temporary parking spaces are planned for a limited period of time on plots where there are no structures.
• Short-term parking: Short-term parking spaces can be provided along the access routes.
Roads and paths
Elements pertaining to access have a hierarchical structure:
• Hegenheimermattweg is the backbone for traffic management in the entire area and it is also the main route connecting Allschwil and Basel. The road is served by bus routes 8, 31, 38, 48 and 64, which are operated by Basler Verkehrsbetriebe (BVB), Basellandschaftlichtlichen Transport AG (BLT) and Distribus from the Alsace region.
• Kreuzstrasse, Kiesstrasse and Lachenstrasse run around the perimeter of BaseLink and bring traffic from the access roads to Hegenheimermattweg.
• The three access routes within the site are located centrally in the access thoroughfares and short-term parking spaces, plants and seating are along the sides of these routes.
• Bicycles are the ideal form of local transport. Within the site, cyclists use the same track as motorized vehicles. The central green space can also be used for cycle traffic. On Hegenheimermattweg there is a separate two-way cycle track.
• Pedestrians can either use the sidewalks next to the roads, or the footpaths in the central green space as a direct connecting route.